Tuesday, March 13, 2012

breastfeeding (a PAIL theme post)

In the 1970s, my mother was a La Lec.he Lea.gue group leader. I remember, as a child, sitting on the floor with other kids whose moms were similarly passionate about breastfeeding. We sat though so many damn meetings. She was hardcore about breastfeeding, too. Apparently, she not only allowed me and my brother to nurse LONG past the time when we could ask for it, she also allowed a close friend who had a child around my same age to feed me if my Mom had run to the store or was otherwise busy. I assume she fed her friend's child in the same manner. WTF. Feeding another woman's baby, just because you can, strikes me as odd. And breastfeeding a preschooler just isn't for me. I have nothing against it, per se, but I think there are many interesting foods out there beyond breastfeeding by the preschool years that are/should be more nourishing than breastmilk. (Yeah, yeah...I know it's the perfect food and all...I'm just sayin'.)

All that said, I'm a pretty passionate breastfeeder. I have been committed to it with both kids. I breastfed W, my two year old, until he chose to quit at almost a year old. I was getting ready to quit it if he hadn't, but even so, I felt a bit disappointed when he refused the breast the first time. And now, with baby #2, my 6 month old, we're still breastfeeding well. It's a very different experience the second time around. My son would nurse constantly, even when not hungry. He got the comfort-nursing thing. E, the baby girl, is more interested in breastfeeding for food. She is much quicker to reject it if she's not hungry.

I fought hard to be able to breastfeed. In both cases, my kids started life with a few days back in the hospital drinking formula from bottles. I pumped and pumped to get my supply going (I'm a late starter...my milk doesn't tend to come in until at least a week after birth). And I tried finger feeding and other measures to keep them both from loving the bottle and refusing the breast. I'm very lucky that it all worked--it was just as likely as not to have failed.

I'm also a very poor pumper, and I'm not sure if it's just that I'm not doing it well (I sometimes forget when I'm at work) or if I'm just a low producer. Perhaps both are true. So when E is at daycare, she gets one bottle of breastmilk and at least one of formula. To me, formula is a total blessing. It allows my child to eat while I'm away from her and it takes some of the pumping pressure off of me. And for so many people, formula is the only option and I really hate when someone looks down on that choice or situation. A good lactation consultant will say that the first thing all mothers should do is feed their child, whether it be breastmilk or formula.

When I meet a pregnant woman and she asks me about my breastfeeding experience (it does happen!), I almost always tell her how difficult it is going to be. It's painful for the first few week and worrying about whether your child is getting enough food will drive you nuts, but if you can get it all to work, it's wonderful. And if you can't get it to work and you don't breastfeed, either by choice or by situation, it's also wonderful. Feed your child and don't worry too much about how.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Rachael - I clicked over from Elphaba! I am also the kid of a la leche league leader, in fact my mom is like a guru and was on the board - so it is a lot of pressure now I am pregnant. I am glad it worked out for you, but I am so glad to have found someone in a similar situation to me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to find your blog, too! Our moms sound very similar--mine was a big deal leader in our region, so the meetings were endless. She spent lots of time on the phone organizing, too.

      Interestingly, when I had trouble breastfeeding my first, W, because of his week-long NICU stay, she was pretty unhelpful. It's like all the knowledge she had disappeared, and she just kept saying to "keep trying." But she did have some old lactation consultant friends who called and offered their advice--that was cool. In the end, though, it was the LC I hired to help that really got the latch to work and helped me worry less about whether he was getting enough to eat. Without that paid LC and her handy scale for weigh-feed-weigh sessions, I might have given up, in spite of my Mom's LLL friends from the 70s.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this. We're heading towards the formula-at-daycare route, the only reason we're not there yet is my rapidly dwindling magic freezer stash from the early days of oversupply (i pumped like a crazy woman when my little guy wouldn't latch on, and ended up making way way more than a 3-6 week old needed). Now that I'm at work I just don't pump much, despite all the techniques/herbs/scheduling/etc... I am starting to get miffed at the whole "exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months" recommendation. Why exclusive? does a bottle/day of formula negate everything else??? It makes it into an all-or-none issue and makes women (well, myself, anyways) go crazy stressing over pumping yields and thinking that a little bit of formula (or a lot, for that matter) means you have FAILED your baby. Unnecessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Ana. Yes, yes, yes. All-or-none is such a set-up! Awesome that you have a stash to keep going for a while. I had like four bags in the freezer when I went back to work, and spilled one during that first week (immediately causing me to burst into tears, of course). Now, I have no stash and am finding myself less freaked by the formula as the weeks go on.

      The stress we put on ourselves (and that society puts on us) as mothers is so intense.

      Delete
  3. You're right, it isn't easy in the beginning. But once you get over that initial few weeks, it seems like things really start getting easier and hopefully enjoyable!

    Glad things went well for you with both kids! And, yea...a lil weird that your mom would feed another baby. If there were dire circumstances, of course I would, but it seems strange as a normal thing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. And it was ME, which is even stranger. I have no memory, of course, but the thought of it is really...odd.

      Delete
  4. Whoa! I know "it takes a village" and everything, but I don't know if I would be down with feeding another person's kid, or vice versa. Crazy!

    Your perspective on breastmilk and/or formula is interesting and refreshing! Particularly given your reference points from LLL in your living room growing up. I sincerely wish more pro-BFing ladies weren't also anti-formula. Just feed your babies, yo! That's what really counts!

    I look at it like this. When BJB is out with the baby, walking, hanging in a cafe, and yes, feeding him from the bottle, people look at him all super-impressed like he is *SUCH* a wonderful man/father/husband. If I followed the exact same path in our hippie/hipster neighbourhood, and met the same people, I would get some serious cut-eye for the bottle. Makes me nuts. I try to make it a point, when I see mama with a bottle, to give a look that says "Word! Feed yo bebes!"

    Glad to hear you are enjoying it this time around too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the different standards for men and women re: bottles. So true! My DH also gets heroic praise for just walking with the baby, let alone feeding her. Even hippie/hipster folks have some serious growing to do.

      I also try to be supportive when I see a mom with a bottle. The formula/bf divide is bullshit. All moms deserve support and love, no matter how they feed their babies!

      Delete