Monday, January 30, 2012

Prepared. No kidding!

Just a quick post to say that I spent the last few hours cooking several main dishes for the week, all of which can also work for W's lunches. I made a red lentil thing that goes over rice (all homemade), linguine with chickpeas and (not homemade but organic and yummy) red sauce, mac and cheese (again, not homemade but relatively good organic Ann.ie's from a box), batches of steamed broccoli and zucchini, and some beautifully sauteed tofu cubes (W loves these!).

In other words, I--the woman who is perpetually unprepared for her life these days--is prepared for the week and can whip up meals without too much stress. I'll make more veggies on the fly to accompany these dishes, M will make some chicken for W's lunches, and we can do fruit on demand. The only other thing I'm contemplating is a batch of oatmeal for mornings. Will oatmeal keep for several days if I make a big batch and scoop out a bit at a time for me and W to eat for breakfast? Or will it get gluey? I'll have to goo.gle it and see what's what. Mornings are too busy for me to make oatmeal. We run out the door by 7:30 and even when I get up at 5:45 it's tight. Toddlers move so slowly!

That's it. Nothing brilliant to share or smart to say. But I'm proud of myself and I thought you might be proud of me, too!

2 comments:

  1. Well done! It sounds like maybe you are beginning to get into a bit of a routine (fingers crossed). I hope you're doing well. You've certainly got a ton of things to manage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, good work! Weekend cooking (lunches & dinners for adults & kid) are our secret weapon around here. Otherwise we'd be ordering pizza or eating pasta every night. I kind of hate oatmeal but I read somewhere recently that steel cut oats keep well if you want to make in advance.

    ReplyDelete