Wednesday, December 5, 2012

three year olds and fear; diaper rash from hell (a combo post!)

1. This weekend, we went to a three year old's birthday party at one of those places that has big inflatable slides and bouncy houses and other dangerous looking structures. It was terrifying on many levels, even for me and my husband. The noise! The bright colors! The screeching of three year old boys going down crazy inflatable slides!

W knew most of the kids because they're his three year old friends from school. But this inflatable paradise? Not his cup of tea. In fact, W had a full on panic attack (not really, but you know what I mean) when I was lightly encouraging him to climb to the top of one of the smallest slides. I was planning to go down with him and show him that they're meant to be fun, not scary. But he had none of it. He was literally clawing my shirt and screaming, so I went back down the stairs hugging him in my arms and told him that if he didn't want to go, it was fine with me. One of the other parents said, "you should have just made him go down with you--he'd have loved it." I said no way. I wasn't going to betray my son's trust, even on a small inflatable bouncy slide.

Maybe he would have loved it. Who knows. But I was not willing to take that chance. He's just a cautious kid. He watches to see how things go before joining in, and he's not the kind of kid who can be pushed into anything. I respect that about.

2. In other news, baby E seems to have a bacterial rash in her diaper area (though it's really spread out on her upper thighs and is less focused on the usual places). I'm treating it with bactro.ban, prescribed for this same thing last time by my ped. I'm going to call her again and make sure I shouldn't be doing anything different. No fever or anything, but she's really uncomfortable. Lots of little red dots and now, small blisters. I'm also using triple paste.

Does anyone have advice about this kind of diaper rash? My ped called it impetigo last time and it just seems to be back. I've talked to her daycare teacher and she says she's doing all the right things (changing her often, making sure she's really dry before putting on a new diaper, putting on this bactro.ban and triple paste). I even get the rash under control just in the evening and morning, but by late afternoon, her entire diaper area is bright red and she's clearly bothered.

Could this bacteria be something that resides at daycare and she's getting it back on her during the day? I do notice that over the weekend, I'm able to get it very much under control using my bactro.ban and triple paste protocol, but by Monday, it's back full force.

Any advice? Anyone see something like this? Does she need antibiotics (oral)? I know you're not my medical professionals, but the hive mind of blog writers is often better than my random googling powers (which have terrified me about mrsa and I'm having visions of these little blisters becoming antibiotic-resistant boils...). Talk me off the ledge?

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry. I don't know much about that particular rash but I do know how hopeless it can feel when you are dealing with a bad rash that just won't resolve, no matter what you do. My daughter has had so many of those. I finally realized that for her regular diaper creams don't work and when she gets thrush, after a while the anti-fungals stop working too and what she needs is a strong steroid treatment. I'm not saying that I what baby E needs, as Isa has never had that particular rash. I'm just saying I know how hard it is and maybe the treatment you think should be working isn't the right one anymore. Maybe take her back to the doctor or see a dermatologist? Seeing a dermatologist is what got us the steroid Rx that resolved a thrush rash that had turned into really bad, weeping contact dermatitis. Sorry if that isn't helpful, mostly just trying to say I know how frustrating and hopeless that feels. I drove me crazy when we were dealing with some of those months-long rashes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't even finish reading, but distinct bright red dots in the diaper rash generally mean yeast. Ask your ped, but OTC anti-fungal (in the athlete foot aisle) should clear that up in a day or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Antifungals! I read these comments and immediately started using the antifungal cream that I had bought for the last awful diaper rash and it seems to be helping already (just between yesterday and this afternoon). Thank you both for your wisdom!! Hopefully this is it, though I'll call the ped by tomorrow morning if the rash is persisting.

    Esperanza, it's *always* helpful to hear the been there done that stories, even when they end in weeping contact dermatitis. :) Rashes are strange things.

    ReplyDelete